Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Ordinary Men With Unusual Faith

Wednesday night is our corporate night of study, we don't offer a traditional sunday school we have "The Full Gospel Bible Institute. Since the begining of the year we have been on a journey through the book of Hebrews. last week we finally made it out of the woods on doctrine and the preeiminent person of Christ into the field of the practical life of faith. Tonight we covered Hebrews 11:1-7.

A Christian who lives by faith is something of an enigma.

In his book The Root of the Righteous, A. W. Tozer makes eloquent note of this fact.

A real Christian is an odd number anyway. He feels supreme love for One whom he has never seen, talks familiarly every day to Someone he cannot see, expects to go to heaven on the virtue of Another, empties himself in order to be full, admits he is wrong so he can be declared right, goes down in order to get up, is strongest when he is weakest, richest when he is poorest, and happiest when he feels worst. He dies so he can live, forsakes in order to have, gives away so he can keep, sees the invisible, hears the inaudible, and knows that which passeth knowledge.

Those who stepped out in Hebrews'11 weren't fully grown and mature in faith. They were uncoordinated toddlers, with tenuous legs and mincing steps. They were weak, sinful, subject to depression and fear. They were, in a word, human-just like us.

One was a shepherd, one a preacher, and one a builder.

Abel, Enoch, and Noah. All ordinary men, but each with an unusual faith.
By faith, Abel came God's way.By faith, Enoch proclaimed God's word. By faith, Noah fulfilled God's will.
But for the time being, let's leave their lives to historians and archeologists. How about your life? If faith were the topic of conversation in your neighborhood, on your job, at your local assembly, would your name come up? If Hebrews 11 were to be updated in heaven, would your name be on the list?

Wow I Can't wait until next week to talk more about ordinary people with unusual faith!

9 comments:

Vietta P's two cents worth said...

Let me introduce myself. I am Vietta Pullam the blog Mother to Pastors Rhone, McGhee, Mann, Johnson, and Witherspoon. I am the biological mother of Pastors Kraig and Kevin Pullam, the wife of Pastor W.L. Pullam. I was blessed to be adopted by them, and by them doing so they have allowed me to "hangout" and look over their shoulders. I have learned so much more in so little time. The fellowship via blog has been wonderful and a blessing. They have become real experts at humoring me at times. But I've grown to love them.

I stopped by to see who you were by visiting your first post. You mentioned Pastor Tony's name so immediately I became interested. Welcome to the neighborhood. I hope to become better familiar with your passions through blogging. The only question I have for now is...what is your name?

I love this post "Ordinary Men With Unusual Faith". I do think my name is written in the book of faith. As a matter of fact there is a praise report of the result of faith mentioned on my son's (Kevin) last post in regards to another son.

Stop by my place anytime.
Be blessed

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

Pastor,

A great post indeed!!! I could hear the music in your voice as you ran down the paradoxes of the people of faith. This post is truly a blessing. Thanks.

Clinton Smith said...

Great study in Hebrews! I love the book of Hebrews and if could would preach from all my preaching ministry. Great study material. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Reggie, great blog. I know you and Full Gospel are being tremendously blessed through this study.

Good questions to ask about "our faith".

Stick with it.

Be Encouraged.

Tony R.

Ronald said...

Praise The Lord, I’ve just found my ghost writer for my new book deal. All jokes aside (wink, wink) what a thought provoking and spiritually challenging lesson keep up the good work.

Sola Scriptura
Ron

Anonymous said...

Great post Payne,I am sure that Full G is being challenged and blessed at the same time by this series.This was a thought provoking blog and challenge to every man that reads this.We should all internally as we read about faith and ask ourselves the question what can we do to increase our faith!Keep up the good work man. BAW,sr.

Fitts said...

Once again another grat post my brother! I will keep stopping by for more wisdom as you go into the depths of God's word. I thank God for the witnesses that you mentioned, who serve as examples of what faith can do for us.

Keep them coming my brother

Vietta P's two cents worth said...

I am happy to have made your acquaintance Pastor Payne. Thank you for stopping by this morning, it was a pleasant surprise to see you had arrived. I look forward to a wonderful blogging relationship and I know I will gain much in the process. Have a great day.

Be blessed

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Bless your heart Doctor for your comments on my blog. It is my pleasure to meet you and I am looking forward to reading more of your passions and convictions about Jesus Christ and His church.

Lance